Saturday, January 8, 2011

Remember When Twitter Was JUST Twitter....by @MISSERIKAG

    Seems like we've come a long way since those days. Truth be told, I initially joined Twitter with a fake page to check up on my dude & see all the no good sh*t he was up to. Twitter was interesting & slowly but surely, it became fun for me. It was the escape I needed from the REAL world. It was the place I went when I wanted to say the most politically incorrect sh*t that I couldn't say on Facebook and so I created MissErikaG! I don't know about anybody else but who I am on Twitter is not who I am on Facebook & it's not really who I am in real life either, but that's a whole 'nother post!

    Back to the topic at hand, remember when it was safe to "@" someone without receiving that good old DM/Text/BBM asking where u know @____________ from? Or worse yet, that DM/Text/BBM asking how do u know @______________ did you f*ck him/her? (insert blank stare) Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Twitter a SOCIAL network where people SOCIALIZE? Am I the ONLY one who SOCIALIZES with RANDOM people that I don't know past their @ name? (insert bbm confused face) I can count on my hand the amount of people I KNOW outside of Twitter! People that I actually speak to, chill with & have meaningful conversation with. If you've ever seen me out & recognized me as "that light skin girl Erika from Twitter", of course I'll say hello, but make no mistakes, you don't "know" me nor do I "know" you.

    My point is this: an exchange of inside jokes or pleasantries doesn't mean that @___________ & @____________ are messing around, it's JUST Twitter: a place where we all come to talk sh*t & be social & even if they are messing around, mind your own tweets!

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff! I enjoyed reading it!

    "If you've ever seen me out & recognized me as "that light skin girl Erika from Twitter", of course I'll say hello, but make no mistakes, you don't "know" me nor do I "know" you" <--I so agree with this. Ppl sometimes think that because they interact with you on these sites that somehow you've formed this bond & that you're friends. Friendships is more than the basic exchange of tweets or comments on statuses(FB)

    I, however, am the same person on Twitter on FB as in real life. I feel like these social networking sites are online representatives of me, so I'm consistent across the boards BUT I do understand & appreciate that you use Twitter as a form of entertainment & a place to let an alter ego come out.

    Ppl say that "It's just Twitter" or "It's just entertainment" but just because we are all different, we bring different perspectives to the table. How ppl think are sometimes reflected in their tweets so I suppose we have to approach with some understanding that what may be entertainment to one person may be serious business to another (Not saying that this is the case with me BUT I keep that I'm dealing with all types of ppl on Twitter so as to be sensitive to certain ppl & on certain topics)

    I'm not gonna preach anymore but I thoroughly enjoyed reading your perspective on this! Good job!

    ReplyDelete